CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

Bitmap_1
Comparing a few programming languages to use for GCSE (OCR flavour)

A quick comparison. How do different programming languages meet the programming techniques that OCR ask to be covered for GCSE.

Phil Gardner

Created by Phil Gardner
last edited Mar 06 2021 by Phil Gardner

(Still a…) Work in progress! Not quite finished and by no means exhaustive. This is a ROUGH comparison. A simple overview.

I drew this up this week after reading a question by Richard Pawson. Richard asked what (if any!?) analysis anyone carried out prior to Python becoming so popular.

Did anyone every objectively look at languages side by side? Did anyone consider in depth what OCR GCSE require in terms of programming?

I’m not sure that they did in detail. They may have considered “hello world” style programs, but not a wide range of typical GCSE tasks.

Currently compares: - OCR Reference Language (A language Formerly Known As Pseudo Code). - C# - C++ - Java - Pascal - Python

…in terms of the programming constructs and techniques that OCR lay out in the J277 GCSE Specification.

I have added simple examples where appropriate - but rough at the moment and not complete yet.

I have tried to be as objective as possible in my comparisons.

For the record, I use Small Basic, C++ and Python. The proportions vary, depending on the year group and ability range. Thinking about it, BBC Basic is very different and many varieties offer functions and procedures beyond the capabilities of Small Basic.

And I’ll say it again: It isn’t the language you use… it is HOW you choose to use the features that the language offers to solve your problem. The style of your code is massively important, as are the examples you present in the classroom, the tasks you give students to attempt as well as the methods of support you provide.

Stop-press: Updated with more detail. Getting there…

Downloaded 51 times.

Download

This resource has attached files: to access these files, please tick the box below to assent to the license terms
License: The resources on CAS website are under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 licence unless otherwise specified by the resource creators.

You must confirm that you have read and agree the licence's ToS before you can download the attachments of this resource.

I have read the licence agreement of this resource and agree to abide by its terms and conditions.

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 4 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories:

All Rights Reserved © Computing At School 2021
Using the websiteDisclaimer of liabilityCookies policyPrivacy notice