CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

no image
Unofficial Cambridge Pseudocode Language for Notepad++

This resource allows you to write pseudocode in Notepad++ with syntax highlighting following the pseudocode rules for Computer Science

Jose Vicente Esteve Soriano

Created by Jose Vicente Esteve Soriano
last edited Aug 10 2020 by Jose Vicente Esteve Soriano

Hello everyone

This is my first resource I share with this amazing community. I hope you like it.

Since I am teaching Computer Science at my school in Spain I have wanted to create a translator for the pseudocode language that Cambridge uses but this is a very hard task and at the moment I have not this time to do it.

However, there is another way to do it.

Notepad++ is one of the most used text editors in programming. It is free software and allows modification. One of the most interesting features is called syntax highlighting and the chance to create a user-defined language (UDL).

I have created a UDL following the rules of pseudocode so, with this resource:
1. when you write pseudocode for your students the text will be automatically formatted with Courier New 11
2. words like FOR, WHILE, FUNCTION,… etcetera are used to fold code
3. there are different colours for strings, operators, built-in functions and keywords
4. supports array and variable declaration
5. automatic tab using 2 spaces
6. .. and so on.

I think is a good way to present (and write) pseudocode for our students at IGCSE and A Level. Also, they can use it at home or in the computer classroom.

To use this resource you should:
- click on my GitHub Repository
- read the document User guide and Installation.md and follow the instructions

Note that this resource has been created using specific rules but it is easily modificable to accomplish the rules of other exam boards such as OCR, Edexcel or AQA. You can download the xml file, edit it and use it again.

Please, if you use it on your own or you use it in the classroom please share your experience. Moreover, if you have some technical problems, let me know. Thank you.

Level: IGCSE / A Level

Duration:

Teaches: Pseudocode

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 4 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories: