CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

Screenhunter_01_feb._06_21.25
How to Code in Python - Text Book

Python coding text book with explanations, computational thinking puzzles and programming challenges.

Greg Reid

Created by Greg Reid
last edited Feb 17 2020 by Greg Reid

Hi Fellow CAS Members

Years ago I wrote and uploaded some Computational Thinking Homework puzzles and a set of Generic Programming Challenges that remain two of the most downloaded resources on the CAS site.

The 28th of Feb 2020 will see the culmination of this work (started 8 years ago!) turned into a text book published by Hodder Education.

https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/subjects/ict/products/general/how-to-code-in-python-gcse,-igcse-and-national-4

The book contains:
- 62 Explanations of Python Code and Syntax
- 164 Computational Thinking Puzzles
- 72 Programming Challenges
- 3 Final Project Challenges
Lots and lots of class work and potential homework.

The book is organised into the following sections covering GCSE, iGCSE, National 4/5 and Higher Computing Science:
- Input, output and simple calculations
- Selection (if) statements
- Repetition (Loop) statements
- Storing multiple values using lists
- Predefined functions
- Modular programming
- File handling
- Standard algorithms
- Large project tasks

Solutions to every puzzle, the puzzle python files, the python code for the examples and python solution files for each challenge (with comments) will also be available online.

I am more excited about this book than the previous text books I’ve written for Hodder (in Scotland) and would highly recommend that fellow CAS members order a free evaluation copy from Hodder and take a look.

Best wishes
Greg Reid
CAS Scotland Member
Formerly - CS teacher (23 years)
Currently - Subject Implementation Manager for Computing Science (Scottish Qualifications Authority)

Level: (Beginner / Intermediate)

Duration: (many, many hours)

Teaches: (Python Coding, Problem Solving, Computational Thinking)

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 0 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories: