CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

Snowman_challenge
Python snowman challenge

Improve your typing speed then adapt & run python code to draw a snowman

Pete Dring

Created by Pete Dring
last edited Dec 17 2018 by Pete Dring

A little Christmas-themed end of term challenge for anyone interested.

Use this link to type out some python code as fast as you can: https://type.withcode.uk/create/5Sa

An on screen keyboard should guide the students what to type. They need to be careful with indentation and capitalisation.

When they’ve finished, they’ll have a link at the bottom of the screen to edit and run the code online, which will draw a snowman.

You can then ask them to do the following challenges:

• Change the colours

• Add little lumps of coal for a mouth

• Draw some snow

• Draw some arms

• Draw a Christmas tree

It’s aimed at KS3 students as a taste of text-based programming. My Y7s will do it after a game design unit in scratch. My Y8s will do it after a python topic designing and debugging a chatbot.

Instructions and link on powerpoint (attached).

Here’s an example of the snowman scene, adapted by a Y7 student: https://create.withcode.uk/python/5Sd

Hope it’s helpful,

Pete

Downloaded 267 times.

Download

This resource has attached files: to access these files, please tick the box below to assent to the license terms
License: The resources on CAS website are under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 licence unless otherwise specified by the resource creators.

You must confirm that you have read and agree the licence's ToS before you can download the attachments of this resource.

I have read the licence agreement of this resource and agree to abide by its terms and conditions.

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 9 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories: