CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

no image
BBC Microbit Programming Books ...

A couple of books I am writing ...

Andrew Eliasz

Created by Andrew Eliasz
last edited Sep 07 2016 by Andrew Eliasz

From beginner to fairly advanced … Books to be published Cover BBC Microbit programming

Thoughts, comments and feedback appreciated … I have set up a BBC Microbit group on Linked In …

I am working on a series of books on programming the BBC Micro-Bit computer … Volume 1 - an introductory book using the Block programming environment Volume 2 - a python programming book that not only covers Python programmind on the BBC Microbit , but, also covers Python programming on the RaspberryPi and on PCs. I wonder whether these titles might be of any interest to you.

I have set up a BBC Microbit group on LinkedIn to see what kind of interest there is out there … and this is the “kite I flew” … I have nearly finished the first of a series of books on BBC Microbit programming. It covers Block programming of the BBC Microbit. I have started on a BBC Microbit Python programming book … and am posting a kind of manifesto .. that introduces the aims of the book … Here it is : When programming the Micro-bit in Python there is no Micro-bit emulator. The BBC Micro-bit web site does provide a web based code editing and code downloading environment but no emulator. Programs have to be downloaded to the Micro-bit computer and run on it. This can, at times be quite a slow and tedious process. In this book we will, therefore, cover not only how program the Micro-bit in Python, but, also we will cover Python programming on a regular computer. In this case, in the spirit of “working with small things” we will also cover Python programming on the RaspberryPi and Python programming on a regular PC. We will start by running simple Python programs that should build up your confidence and skills in Python programming. In later chapters we will develop Python programs that work with the various hardware components such as buttons, LEDs, sensors and accelerometers present on the Micro-bit board itself, or attached to it via prototype circuits constructed on a breadboard. After that we will also explore how to write Python scripts that do similar things, but that run on the RasbperryPi. Finally, as a kind of “tour de force” we will use the wireless and USB interfaces on the Micro-bit to put together some programs where the Micro-bit communicates with the RaspberryPi and the RaspberryPi communicates with the Micro-bit. Our “grand finale” , after we have explored how to get the Micro-bit and the RaspberryPi to communicate with Android and iPhone devices will be to get them all “chattering together” in a co-operative way.

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 9 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories: