CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

Assessment
Assessment: The next level

Presentation, notes and resources from the seminar at CAS Conference 2014 on assessing without levels.

Pete Dring

Created by Pete Dring
last edited Jun 23 2014 by Pete Dring

Thanks to everyone who came along to the Assessment: The next level seminar at the CAS Conference 2014.

Here are the slides and notes. If they’d be helpful at a hub session, please feel free to adapt and replace my details with yours.

The slides are designed to give a brief overview. You can find more detail along with all of the resources and ideas shown or mentioned in this document: goo.gl/fMFYqx

I’m no expert on assessment (I hate marking) and I haven’t got all the answers. This seminar was designed to help us as teachers make a plan for assessing the Computing Curriculum from September 2014 when the old attainment levels cease to exist. I’ve tried to talk through a variety of approaches in the hope that you can pick and choose the bits that are useful.

Remember: From September 2014 our schools have to publish “the principles of assessment” (say what our plan is for assessment and be ready to say how far along that plan we are) but we’ve got until 2016 to innovate, experiment and get it right before we have to commit to publishing the detail of our assessment frameworks.

I hope some of this has been useful. I know I haven’t answered all the questions, but that’s because at this stage there just aren’t any definitive answers. I’m sorry if I’ve not credited anyone’s work – please get in touch with me if I’ve referenced anything incorrectly.

There are loads of wonderful examples of innovative approaches to assessment around the country and I’m sorry I didn’t have time to feature more. Please share anything on CAS Online if you’ve got an idea that you think others might benefit from.

Downloaded 1007 times.

Download

This resource has attached files: to access these files, please tick the box below to assent to the license terms
License: The resources on CAS website are under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 licence unless otherwise specified by the resource creators.

You must confirm that you have read and agree the licence's ToS before you can download the attachments of this resource.

I have read the licence agreement of this resource and agree to abide by its terms and conditions.

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 11 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories: