CAS Community   >   Resources   >  

no image
Translators

PowerPoint file covering HLL, LLL, Interpretation, compilation, IDEs - GCSE

Michael Jones

Created by Michael Jones
last edited Mar 03 2018 by Michael Jones

This resource is used to cover all aspects of module 2.5 of the current OCR GCSE CS course.

Ideas dragged form my own head, previous A Level work and others that I cannot recall but undoubtedly advised and did better than me.

The unit is more technical than you might at first think, especially for your < 4 grade predicted students.

The file has a number of inbuilt mini tasks to get the idea of working with things like opcodes, operands and binary into place.

I go into Python using the dis module. Before anyone moans, I know this is not strictly in the syllabus but it is a useful way of illustrating how programs make sense of the natural language we code with. Looking at bytecode allows an insight into mnemonics and their numerical equivalent. A bit like assembly and machine code but not quite.

I also launch into an investigation of how many instructions an application might have via the application size divided by the word length. Whilst not strictly part of module 2.5 I think it gives a bit of relevance to the abstract nature of instructions.

As ever, if useful use it if not no problem.

Two files, teacher version with answers and student version without.

Level: GCSE into AS

Duration: Depends on how you deliver

Teaches: Translators, interpreters, compilers, instructions sets, assembly code, machine code, bytecode

Downloaded 529 times.

Download

This resource has attached files: to access these files, please tick the box below to assent to the license terms
License: The resources on CAS website are under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 licence unless otherwise specified by the resource creators.

You must confirm that you have read and agree the licence's ToS before you can download the attachments of this resource.

I have read the licence agreement of this resource and agree to abide by its terms and conditions.

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 1 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
Categories: