Ethical, legal, cultural and environmental concerns (OCR GCSE 1.8)

last edited Apr 27 2017 by Michael Jones | Created by Michael Jones | Other contributors:

Set of resources to inject a courtroom like feel into the topics

OCR require that students undertake the following: - how to investigate and discuss Computer Science technologies while considering: - ethical issues - legal issues - cultural issues - environmental issues. - privacy issues - how key stakeholders are affected by technologies - environmental impact of Computer Science - cultural implications of Computer Science - open source vs proprietary software - legislation relevant to Computer Science: - The Data Protection Act 1998 - Computer Misuse Act 1990 - Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 - Creative Commons Licensing - Freedom of Information Act 2000.

In this set of resources the topics are explored form a legal viewpoint. Each of the legislation topics being headed by a short video form the judge outlining the charges against fictitious entities.

The unit is designed to be distributed learning with members of the class adopting roles such as barrister, witness, expert witness, juror and so on. There are enough topics for each class member to hold each role at least once.

Focused on GCSE CS but use wherever suits

This can be speedy or slow. I want my students to get depth so they will have 3 weeks on the module

Ethical, legal, cultural and environmental concerns of CS.

Edit: you may have caught the story about Jason Mudd who was jailed for contravening the Computer Misuse Act. I incorporated this as a real World exemplar and to illustrate that relatively young age and medical condition are unlikely to be held as a defence. Here’s a link

Good luck

Disclaimers:

By downloading this resource you agree to the CAS resource guidelines and use it appropriately.

Note: Unless otherwise specified, this resource and all associated files are published here under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Licence. If you wish to use a different license, please state this here.

Read our resource guidelines

Feedback and Comments

Available when logged in (join via the front page, for free):
  • View 0 comments on this resource.
  • View resource history, links to related resources.
  • Leave feedback for the author(s), or help by editing the resource.
no image

This resource has attached files: to access these files, please tick the box below to assent to the license terms

License: The resources on CAS website are under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 licence unless otherwise specified by the resource creators.

You must confirm that you have read and agree the licence's ToS before you can download the attachments of this resource.

It has been downloaded 1758 times.

I have read the licence agreement of this resource and agree to abide by its terms and conditions.
Categories: